How does your garage door opener currently work?
To check how your garage door opener works, you have to close it first then have the emergency release cord pulled and have the door lifted to check whether it opens and close smoothly or not. If your tracks, rollers or springs are suffering from some problems, your garage door is unable to open and close smoothly. Today, I will give you some tips and tricks to help you solve some simple problems of your garage door. One of the most basic tips for your garage door to work well in long – term is that you choose a reliable manufacturer who provides you with good and full service. I suggest you should use products of Liftmaster, for instance Liftmaster 3800, Liftmaster 8500 and so on.
- Note: Fix it safe
You should fix your garage door when it is down to avoid accidents. If the door spring is broken and the emergency cord is pulled when you raised your garage door up in a high position, it can accidentally rash down.
You should stop plugging garage door opener when you start fixing it. It is to avoid that when you are fixing your garage door and someone unexpectedly hits the garage door opener remote button and you are electrocuted.
Now, we start to know how to fix specific problem.
- Wall switch is out of order but the remote is alright.
- Check the wall switch’s conditions. First, you stop screwing one wire and use this to touch the other terminal. If your garage door opener still works well, you should replace the switch.
- Buy new wall switch and wires: if the remote is in good conditions but it can not control the garage door opener, you need to replace the wall switch or wires or even both. At first, you need to know among the two things, which is out of order. First, you need to unscrew the switch out of the wall and combine two wires. Although if you do not cut off electricity, the wires are unable to make you shocked. It is because they are low voltage. However, you should cut off electricity to guarantee safety. When you find out which is out of order then you continue with replacing. If your opener is an old – model, it is able to replace it with an inexpensive doorbell button. If it is a modern model, you need to buy a new one. It might take you almost $15. If the problem is of your wires, you need to fix your wires. In case, the connection of the opener and the switch work badly, you should replace the wires.
- The problem is of the remote
- You need a new receiver installation. Your new receiver needs to be plugged into an outlet to the opener with two wires.
- There are two ways to fix this problem. The most basic and simplest way to fix this problem is that you go to a home improvement store and buy a new remote for your garage door opener. Another case is that your garage opener remote is out of battery. As a result, to fix this, you just have to buy new batteries to replace the old batteries of your garage door opener remote with some new ones. You will find yourself in favor of the second problem. It costs you less money and takes you just a little time to help your garage door opener alive again. If you want to buy a new remote, you might spend around $60. Fortunately, you can fix this problem yourself. It means that you can save an amount of money to hire a professional worker to fix it for you.
- Problem in garage door operation
Many people tackle a problem that their garage door can go up easily but pull it down; they have to hold down the wall switch. The main cause of this problem might be sensors of the door. You can not do anything to fix the sensors of your garage door. It is compulsory for you to buy new brand – specific sensors which is made for your brand – specific garage door opener. To fix this, you need to have your garage sensors aligned or replaced by new ones. If your garage door only goes down when the wall switch is held down and does not going up, you need to make sure that you put your safety sensors in alignment. For a new pair of sensors, you need to pay at least $40. With different brand, the price is also distinctive.
- It is easy to buy new safety garage door sensors. You can buy them in every home improvement store. You should check out the guarantee stamp carefully so that when the sensors are suddenly out of order in period of guarantee, they will be exchanged free with some new ones.
- Problem in electricity system
When you test, the power system is still on but lighting system is off and there is no sound when you operate your garage door.
To stop this problem continuing, you have to remove the circuit board to replace it if it is necessary. This work is not more difficult than that you unscrew and cut out some plugs.
It is common when you pull your garage door up and down with the remote; you hear sounds and see lights. However, when it is not as usual, your circuit must be bad. The demise of the circuit board is often caused by the lightning strikes. House light bulb and wire terminal of the whole house is consisted by the circuit board. Therefore, replacing the circuit board in the house is so difficult that it takes longer time than other work and it sounds horrifying if you do not cut the electricity. If you follow the some steps strictly, you will easily replace the circuit board: take out light’s cover then the light bulb, disconnect switch, safety sensor wires and some screws and unplug the board last.